Thursday, March 26, 2009

Urban Wildlife

It’s amazing the variety of wildlife that you encounter on a short walk in the city that I live in. Blue herons make their home by the river alongside bald eagles.

A colony of Blue Herons - Can you spot them among the bullrush?

Local ornithologists have discovered that hummingbirds have made this area their home year round, and do not even migrate South during the winter. While I was out gardening yesterday, I was buzzed by one of these hummingbirds in my backyard. The Snow geese have returned from their sojourn in warmer climes. They live right by a housing sub division and seem to be very much at home there.
It’s really a wonder that all these animals survive and even flourish as humans encroach on their fragile ecology.
I came across some rabbits running around an old heritage church while conducting a wedding rehearsal this week. They seem to be doing so well that the city has an overpopulation problem now. I must remember to clean out some of the bird houses on top of my trellis, and put out more bird seed for all my winged friends who consider my garden their home. Some chickadees nest in the bird houses every year.
It’s just lovely to wake up in the morning, have a cup of coffee, and be entertained by my un-caged pets.

“Poor indeed is the garden in which birds find no homes.” Abram L. Urban
“Look at the birds. They don’t need to plant or harvest or put food in barns because your heavenly Father feeds them, and you are far more valuable to him than they are.” Matthew 6:26 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment