Thursday, March 12, 2009

A Bird’s Eye View

I received a call one day from a very good friend. He asked if I would like to go away for a day on a remote island resort with him and his family. After some quick rescheduling of appointments and a call to the wife; I accepted his invitation. I came to find out later that we were going to get there via helicopter.


This was my first ‘heli-jet’ ride, as I had missed many other opportunities during my 12 year stint in the Air Force.

As helicopters can’t fly above a certain ceiling, most of the flight was at 2,000 feet, which gave us a really panoramic and bird’s-eye view of the coastline.
I never knew that there were so many little islands off the coast, and that so many had beautiful sandy beaches. I’ve taken ferry trips to various islands before, but somehow this journey was very different. The islands and the sea looked more exotic and inviting. Perhaps, it was because of where I was viewing everything from; it definitely gave a different perspective of everything.
Before we hovered to land, the pilot banked steeply to make a tight turn over the landing pad. What a heart-stopping experience!



A day later we went on a sea excursion and visited a spot where bald eagles feed. Evidently, due to strong underwater currents, bottom feeders like hake and flounder get caught up in whirlpools and are sent topside. This creates a feeding frenzy for the eagles which gather in the hundreds in nearby trees. We couldn’t really see the fish from water level, but I guess those marauding eagles had a different viewpoint.

That experience left me thinking about our perspective on life and how often it is limited and lacks the ‘big-picture’ that God sees.



The Lord says, “I will guide you along the best pathway for your life, I will advice you and watch over you.” Psalm 32:8


We can see only as far as the horizon and rely on hindsight; but He sees the beginning and the end of all things.

Guard me as the apple of your eye. Hide me in the shadow of your wings. Psalms 17:8

No comments:

Post a Comment