Saturday, March 7, 2009

A Little Oasis

Tucked away in a sea of concrete high rise apartments is this tiny green space. I discovered this refreshing oasis in one of my trips back to my birthplace. In this tiny Island nation, 4 million residents are squashed into an area no larger than Vancouver. Hence the need for 80% of the people to live in high rise flats. (British name for apartments or condos.)



The visit to this Nature Park took place on my first morning at 6 a.m. Anyone who has traveled from North America to South East Asia will have experienced this unpleasant phenomenon called “jet-lag.” My inability to sleep coupled with the craving for all the delicious food I’ve missed, drove me out earlier than I had planned.


In no time at all, I was sweating like I was in a sauna, but was soon rewarded with a pleasant surprise halfway through the morning walk. There in the middle of this concrete jungle, was a man-made “lake.” Actually, it was more like a large pond left over from a stone quarry. I went all the way through the paved trails right up to the top of a hill. All along the way, there were songs birds and trees and fauna I had thought were long gone and extinct in that part of the world.




In our business of life, we need to find our very own little oasis; a special place, a quiet moment alone with God and your thoughts.


King of the fruits


That walk was good for the soul, not to mention that I definitely worked up a great big appetite after that.


"Jesus saw that they were ready to take him by force and make him king, so he went higher into the hills." John 6:15

No comments:

Post a Comment