Friday, March 20, 2009

Murals

Orca Mural in Steveston Wharf, Richmond, B.C.

It all started 30 years ago, while I was still serving in the military. One morning, my commander called and made a strange request; “Can you paint?” The events that day put me on a path that would culminate with the completion of a 64 feet mural and a new found love for art.
Since then, I have come to appreciate every mural that I have stumbled upon in my daily walks, as well as in my travels.

Murals from Chinatown, Singapore

Mural on boathouse, Victoria Habor. B.C.


Murals depict everything from nature to life in different times and places. Depending on the expertise, style and gifting of the artists, these art works may vary in their size, color usage and expression. They may never ever rival the value and the importance of the frescos in the Sistine Chapel, but they have a message and story to tell.
The challenge of painting a mural is trying to put all the different elements into it yet keeping the main theme clear.

World Famous Murals in Chemainus, B.C.



Life sometimes is like painting a mural. There are so many interesting features you can add to the work, but sometimes those good things can take away from the big picture.



Keep the main thing, the main thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment