Friday, March 6, 2009

Old Church Buildings





I’ve always been intrigued by Old Churches, and I have a collection of photos as well as books and paintings of them from various parts of the world. I’ve even done an ink drawing of our 100 year old Church building after it burnt to the ground. That’s another story.


Adorning one of the walls in my guest room are framed photographs of some of the oldest church buildings in North America. On one of my road trips through Texas, I came across a beautiful church building in Galveston and doubled back just to take some pictures. After I had that picture framed, I discovered it was one of the two buildings that survived the 1900 hurricane that wiped out the city.


I’ve also had the opportunity to visit some of the most ornate and beautiful churches in Europe. The Sistine chapel was the highlight of my visit to the Vatican City.


While I really appreciate the architecture and the artwork that went into these magnificent structures; they are after all just brick and mortar.

The problem with such awesome edifices is that we sometimes mistaken the building for the body of Christ. We focus on beautifying the building and forget to fortify the soul of the believer.
“Now I say to you that you are Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it.” Matthew 16:18 (NLT)



The local church - the hope of the world!





No comments:

Post a Comment