Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Arrival

Have you ever made a long transcontinental flight before? It’s probably one of the most tiring experiences in modern living; especially if you’re flying economy class. Imagine spending 18 hours on a plane. 5 hours into the flight, I’ve finished reading every periodical and magazine on board. 10 hours later, I’ve watched every movie I can handle. At that point, I can’t wait for the plane to touch down and wished that someone would have invented a “Star Trek, beam-me-down” device.



There was a dream vacation that I took a few years ago that required such a long flight. After an 18 hour flight, followed by a 3 hour drive to our destination, we arrived. I spied a sign at the entrance to the resort that I thought was very appropriate; “A Sense of Arrival.”


There are some places in life when you’ve arrived, that you never want to leave. This was one of those unique places. 3 days in a private villa with your very own swimming pool; throw in a personal butler, at you call and beckon; and it doesn’t take any imagination why anyone would want to leave.
This was as perfect a setting for a vacation as anyone could dream of. Breakfast by the beach every morning, while serenaded by folk musicians; followed by a two-hour walk on the beach without bumping into another soul. Take an afternoon swim in the resort’s mega infinity pool and cap it all with a barbeque dinner. After that, cool off in your private villa pool – now that’s life!

The sad thing about arrival halls in Airports is that on another level, there is found a departure hall. One never arrives…and stays long enough, especially when life is great. Something always interrupts or cuts shot that experience. I’ve determined that you never really arrive because life is a journey.
I’ve learnt to enjoy the moment, and take as much memories and lessons from each stage of the journey. I’m also training myself to be patient and be content, when I arrive at a difficult crossroad in life, for I know, that too will pass!


No comments:

Post a Comment