Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Five Things I Cannot Control



1. The Weather – If the meteorologist cannot even accurately predict the weather, my complaining about it changes nothing in life.
I’ve learnt to be thankful for the rain that waters all the beautiful gardens.

2. The Traffic – Due to the North American love affair with the car, I know the traffic in our city will not get better. I just have to become more patient and plan my trips wisely. “Americans will put up with anything provided it doesn't block traffic.” Dan Rather
3. Aging – Time and tide waits for no man. I’ve accepted the fact that I cannot reverse the ravages of time, but I’m doing my best to stay physically, mentally and spiritually fit. I’m also more aware of the fact that I need to take every opportunity to touch lives and leave behind a meaningful legacy. “The aging process has you firmly in its grasp if you never get the urge to throw a snowball.” Doug Larson
4. Change – Change is inevitable. Nothing stays the same for any length of time. Sometimes change may involve struggle and pain, but change is necessary for growth. I try to adapt to new technologies, adopt new ideas, and become adept at becoming all things to all people. “He who rejects change is the architect of decay.” James Harold Wilson

“The pessimist complains about the wind; The optimist expects it to change; The realist adjusts the sails.” William Arthur Ward

5. Busyness – No matter how I try, life is way too busy. There are just too many demands on my life. Family, friends, work, church and our societal demands can rob the soul of its unique ability to appreciate life, stifle our artistic creativity, quench our love for people, and destroy our simple childlike faith. I have to learn to create boundaries in my life. I have to discern the urgent from the important. I have to prioritize and protect my quiet moments; and take time to renew my spirit and soul.

“Sometimes we are so busy being the hammer or the anvil, that we forget who really needs the shaping.” Neal A. Maxwell
“We must never be too busy to take time to sharpen the saw.” Stephen R. Covey
These words from Jesus remind me to keep the main thing, the main thing in my life.

I have finished the work which You have given me to do.
John 17:14

No comments:

Post a Comment