Wednesday, February 18, 2009

What do you see?

One of my first loves is tropical fish. When I was in my teens, I kept 11 fish tanks full of every kind of fresh and marine tropical fishes. I think I was one of the adventurous few who experimented with the idea of maintaining marine aquariums in homes. I made my dad drive us to the sea, and we used jerry cans and huge pails to collect fresh sea water every week. That way, we ensured we had a fresh supply of sea water and the microscopic plankton that fed some of our smaller fishes in our aquarium. We used to catch and collect our marine fishes through very crude and sometimes dangerous means. One method was to use a cast net during low tide in areas that had corals reefs. Even then I had to dive in and close the bottom of the net and surface with the fish inside. Often we would catch venomous sea snakes along with the occasional butterfly and damsel fishes. It was a wonder none of us were ever stung by these dangerous creatures. One weird way of collecting clown fishes (Nemo) was with snorkel and fins. Once you located a Sea anemone, you’ll hold your breath, free dive and grab the clown fish with your bare hands. I used to do this so much that I became immune to the sting of the anemone.

10 inch long Mantis Shrimp in a holding tank

They even had dog fish at this Seafood Restaurant in Pattaya, Thailand

It’s strange what people think about when they see different things. When I see marine life, I think of how beautiful and unique they are. However, I’ve discovered that many just see them as another delicious sea food.

Was tempted to purchase this large Murex conch for the shell


Live fresh water shrimp

One of the highlights of any trip to South East Asia is to seek out aquarium fish vendors. These tropical beauties are so affordable, and they are sold in pails and buckets.




Large plastic bag full of fish for a couple of dollars

Terrapins


Tropical fish in a Bangkok Night Market


For the uninitiated, all fish look alike, and they can’t tell apart the food fish from the more valuable aquarium kind. But one thing is sure; we can all appreciate the wonder of God’s varied creation.



“O Lord, what a variety of things you have made! In wisdom you have made them all. The earth is full of your creatures. Here is the ocean, vast and wide, teeming with life of every kind, both great and small. See the ships sailing along, and Leviathan, which you made to play in the sea. Every one of these depends on you to give them their food as they need it. When you supply it, they gather it.” Psalm 104: 24-28 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment