Friday, February 27, 2009

Shells


One of my jars of shells


Since I was little, I have been a collector of things. It all started with bottle caps, and then Model planes, cars, aquarium fish, birds, old coins, stamps, books…



The Biggest shell in the world - South Padre Island

Cowrie shells



You name it and I probably had them in some sort of collection, at some time in my life. One of the things I treasure most is my shells. I’ve bought books on them, sought out rare ones, collected sand and shells from every beach I’ve ever had the pleasure of combing.
I can spend hours walking on the beach listening to the surf crashing and seeking out these elusive little trinkets. I’ve even made a lamp from a vase full of shells.


The amazing thing about these beautiful creations of God is its intricate design, colors and patterns.


Some even have legends attached to them.
The Legend of the Sand Dollar will be in another Blog.


Naturally cut cross-section of shell
Artists, engineers and even architects sometimes get their inspiration and copy their designs from nature. Frank Lloyd Wright used shell-like spiral forms when he designed the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum in New York City


“I have the world's largest collection of seashells. I keep it on all the beaches of the world.... Perhaps you've seen it.” Steven Wright


If God bothered to put so much creative process and work into sea shells; He must have so much more planned out for you and I!


“You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
Your workmanship is marvelous – and how well I know it” Psalm 139:13, 14 (NLT)




The earth is the Lord’s, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it; for he founded it upon the seas and established it upon the waters. Psalm 24:1, 2

No comments:

Post a Comment