Friday, October 9, 2009

Wisdom in Creation

I’m not into bird watching, but I’ve got a keen eye and on many a walk, I’ve observed the intelligence and innovation of animals in the wild. There was once I nearly had a mussel dropped onto my head by a passing raven. After further scrutiny, I discovered that somehow these smart birds had been watching the seagulls do their thing; pick up a mussel off the beach, take off into the air and then drop them onto the concrete pavement to break open the tough shell and then proceed to enjoy their well-earned meal. On the other hand; I’ve also noticed how seagulls have become a nuisance in certain neighbourhoods. The crafty ways of man are pitted against these wily birds in an effort to get rid them, often without success. One thing for sure, those plastic owls on the roof tops of many homes only serve as a perch for them. The most creative method I’ve come across were realistic kites, made to look like bald eagles, flown from tall masts off a seagull infested building. The first time I came across them, I thought those bald eagles were bold to hang around a residential area, but not the seagulls; they saw right through them...smart birds! Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, which, having no captain, overseer or ruler, provides her supplies in the summer, and gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard? When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep— So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler, And your need like an armed man. Proverbs 6:6-11

No comments:

Post a Comment