Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Time to Plant?

Even as my summer garden slowly goes into hibernation, it's also time for me to rake up the leaves; and put into the ground my spring bulbs.
I love to go shopping for spring bulbs during this season. So many types of plants, so little space in the garden; so many beautiful flowers in spring, so limited the budget! What should I plant? What colour scheme do I want? How much am I willing to invest today for a wonderful back-yard garden colour explosion in spring?Daffodils, tulips, aliums, crocuses, amaryllis, or lillies? Some perform better than others in my West Coast garden. I've developed a system of planting some time back. Every year I put in an extra 50 tulip and 50 daffodil bulbs. That way, I maintain my tight budget as well as fill in the empty spaces in the garden. The daffodils are always planted around the tulip bulbs to keep out the squirrels.
I learnt this expensive lesson in the early years, after 'feeding' hungry rodents over the winters.
Lessons learnt from planting:

What I sow now – I will definitely reap in the near future.
I have to carefully consider what kinds of seeds I am sowing today.

“Those who plant seed of injustice will harvest disaster; and their reign of terror will end.” Proverbs 22:8

No comments:

Post a Comment