Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Unique Places I’ve Visited – Ephesus

The ancient city of Ephesus, located in modern day Turkey stands as a monument to Roman architecture. But more important than that is the Biblical significance of the place. Most everyone knows about Jerusalem and Rome, but few know much about Ephesus. It was one of the three cities in that period to have street lights, running water and a sewer system. A few years ago, I had the rare opportunity of visiting Ephesus, as part of the itinerary on my Mediterranean Cruise. What stood out to me was the fact that many of the structures were still quite intact. As I stood among the ruins, I couldn’t help but imagine what it was like for the Apostle, Saint Paul, when he preached to the citizens of this once mighty city. As I listened to the tour guide; I learnt three things about man that have not changed in 2,000 years. Our love for books, (attested by the beautiful library) our love affair with “wheels”, (the ruts in the stone streets carved by years of chariot use) and our need for modern luxury. (public baths and lavatories connected by a workable sewer system)

No comments:

Post a Comment