Thursday, June 25, 2009

My Favourite Beaches – White Rock, Canada



Mount Baker, Washington in the background

This has been one of my favourite places ever since I moved to Canada in 1989. Back then, not too many people knew of this wonderful stretch of beach that really begins in Crescent beach and ends at the Pier in White Rock, South Surrey. I have many pleasant memories of picnics and barbeques with the family along this beach. Due to the recent popularity of this beach, until recently, I have stayed away for some years from the crowds that litter the beach on sunny days.There was a time, when I could drop our crab nets into the waters off the pier and be assured of a catch of either Dungenness or Red Rock crabs. The last time I tried, the net came up empty. I’ve heard of the legendary Geo Duck clams that used to make the sandy beaches their underground home, but that too has been fished into extinction. Sigh! Now the main attraction of this beach is the sun, the superb ice cream served up at the curb-side shops, and the wonderful atmosphere of the place. The sound of children playing on the beach, the fragrance of burgers on the grill and sight of the sparkling surf reminds me its summertime – and it feels great to be alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment