Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My Favorite Beaches – Changi Beach (Singapore)

Since I was a toddler – I remember always looking forward to Saturdays.
It meant my dad was off work for the day, but more important to us kids, it meant he was going to take us to the beach.
The thought of the sand under our bare feet, swimming in the surf, and beach combing always brought the best behaviour out of us.

Low tide was the highlight of our trip because it meant we could explore the tidal pools, collect clams for dinner, fish for shrimp, cuttlefish and the occasional butterfly fish for our marine aquarium.
What was our favorite beach 30 years ago has now been transformed into part of an International Airport. In my last trip to this special place – gone were the clams, the sea life, and the tidal pools.

This favorite beach of mine, is too far away for me to visit anymore, and it is too transformed for me to relive what it was like.

"To myself I am only a child playing on a beach, while vast oceans of truth lie undiscovered before me." Isaac Newton

While I have travelled across the oceans and acquired much truth, still the simple joys of a child playing on a beach brings a smile to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment