Tuesday, May 19, 2009

My Favorite Places – My Secret Garden


There are many beautiful gardens in the city, but my absolute favorite green space is located in the backyard of my home.
I’ve always loved plants and all things that grow, but until I moved into my own home, I did not invest much time or resources in a garden.
Since the new millennium, I’ve created a very special space that I can call my own – my secret garden. When I first moved into the house; the backyard was a mess; the grass very spotty and sickly due to the presence of a very large K-9 unit dog that used to call it home. Other than a couple of nice Japanese Maple trees. They weren’t any other garden plants.
I put in a high trellis, followed by a Gazebo. The plants were introduced based on budget more than a master plan. Birthdays and Christmas presents from the family were always additions to the garden…First a grape vine, then a black currant bush, an espaliered apple tree, a dwarf peach tree that gave ultra sweet fruits completed my ornamental fruit section of the garden. Flowering plants were added with such passion that soon, I had no more space for any new additions. My secret garden has become a place of refuge and quietness. Often this is where I am able to work, sit or walk around and meditate and reflect on the hectic events of the day.
Thoughts on Quite Places:

Everyone needs a quiet place in their life.

It is in quiet places that God speaks to me.

A quiet place slows down time, and silences the noise of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment