Monday, May 4, 2009

Fences and Walls

Most things in life serve some purpose. Have you ever wondered why fences and walls are erected between homes? If they were built for security reasons, why would they not put a lock on the gates so strangers cannot wander into your back yard? Are fences there to keep out or keep in. Fences remind me that like everything else in life, there are boundaries and limits. Some may be physical in nature but most are invisible. In relationships, there are boundaries you don’t cross. Visas permit you to cross national boundaries. Then there are barbed wired fences and high walls that keep in those who have violated the rights of others.
“Before I built a wall I'd ask to know what I was walling in or walling out, And to whom I was like to give offense. Something there is that doesn't love a wall, that wants it down." Robert Frost

“My apple trees will never get across and eat the cones under his pines, I tell him. He only says, 'Good fences make good neighbors.'”
Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment