Friday, September 25, 2009

WORSHIP

I was listening to some worship music on the way into work this morning and the issue of “hymns versus contemporary worship music” took over my quiet meditative drive.

For many older Christians, it just isn’t worship if the music sounds like a rock concert, or if the songs have not been sung for the last 200 years.
For those who do not know me, I appreciate both hymns and contemporary worship songs.
Worship is not merely what we are accustomed to singing in a church Sunday service. Worship songs are but one aspect of worship. There are so many elements of worship; it would require more than a sermon series to cover them all. I believe, more important than the style and type of songs, is the “heart of worship.”

“As the deer pants for streams of water, so my soul pants for you, O God. My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When can I go and meet with God?” Psalm 42:1, 2

King David possessed a “heart after God” and his Psalms and poetry flowed out of that desire and devotion to Him. The next time you hear a hymn or worship song, consider your passion for God. Let passion determine your expression of worship and you might be surprised to find that it really doesn’t matter the type of music, but the heart of worship that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment