Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Canadian Rockies

I went away this week for a long drive through the Canadian Rockies – hence the blog silence. It’s been quite a long time since I last took this scenic route. This trip was borne out of necessity as I had to ferry a car load full of personal stuff for my daughter, who is will be in Alberta for two years of post graduate studies. As in any long road trip – an early start was an absolute no-brainer. I’m one of those people who don’t really need an alarm clock to get up extra early; I just seem to wake up every hour through the night till it’s time to get up. It’s strange how I still feel fresh enough for the 12 hour drive…must be the adrenalin!
First stop – Merritt.
Any of you that have traveled with wife or young kids would know that the limit of the first phase of a road trip is not dependant on the gas tank but on bladder capacity.
Second Stop – Blue River.
Remind me never to stop at Blue River if I have to make this trip again!
When I pulled into the gas station; I immediately sensed something was wrong as there were way too many patrons standing around their cars doing nothing. I was quickly apprised of the situation by a fellow traveler – there was a power outage that extended from that gas station all the way to the Alberta border. It would be at least 2 to 3 hours before power would be restored. A quick mental calculation based on half a tank of gas meant I might make it to Jasper if I cruised at 90 kmh…maybe!
An hour and a half after leaving the security of that last pump, as the fuel gauge got closer to “E” I was beginning to realize that I wasn’t going to make it to Jasper.
That’s when the it hit me that “E” also meant “exciting,” and “extremely disturbing!”

It was a good thing that when we arrived at the next town – there was a gas station and the power outage had not affected it.Text Color
Thought for the day:

No matter how well planned you may be – life throws curve-balls at you and you just have to readjust your plans accordingly.
Sometimes when you’re travelling on “E,” it takes faith and simple trust that God is travelling with you.


"You can make many plans, but the Lord's purpose will prevail." Proverbs 19:21 (NLT)

No comments:

Post a Comment