Wednesday, July 15, 2009

My Favourite Gardens –Queen Elizabeth Park

Tucked away in a busy part of Vancouver is a virtual Garden of Eden. The first trees and plants went into this old quarry in 1961.
Through the years, the shape and design of this fabulous garden has evolved, but it still remains one of the most beautiful gardens I frequent. Late spring is the best time of the year to visit Q. E. Park. If you can time it such that the tulips are still in bloom together with the rhododendrons and azaleas, it’s an amazing splash of colour. This year was an amazing display of blooms due to an extended winter and a hotter than normal spring.
Brightly coloured tulips are best grown against a backdrop of blue forget-me-nots.
It’s also one of the preferred places for wedding photos. There was an incident years ago that I witnessed the groom falling into the pond while crossing a little stream. It certainly makes for unforgettable memories.
I relish the memory of many picnic dinners in the garden with my wife and girls.
The best part about this garden is that it’s free. Sometimes the best things in life are free.
You've got to get creative sometimes to enjoy the many outdoor activities that do not cost a cent yet are just there!

Cherry blossoms and blue forget-me-nots.

No comments:

Post a Comment