Monday, July 27, 2009

Fruits in my Garden

I don’t really have a huge backyard garden, but I have utilized every available space in it. Packed into my private Eden are over 100 varieties of evergreens, perennials and trees. I’m probably one of a few gardeners that plant fruit trees as ornamental pieces. I have a black currant plant that has been trained to grow up a trellis, an espaliered apple tree with two types of apples, a grape vine, a blue berry bush in a pot, a dwarf Chinese pear tree and a ‘dwarf’ peach tree that has become overgrown. The only fruit that I actually harvest are the peaches. They’re actually quite large and juicy, if the squirrels don’t get them first.
This year I have a smaller crop as the late snowfall in April froze half the blossoms on the tree.
The squirrels have not wiped out my harvest this year; my concoction of blended Thai chili peppers and Jalapenos paste has kept most of the invaders at bay.
The hardest part of enjoying these juicy looking peaches is the waiting. From a guest bedroom window, I can see them growing bigger each day. It’s been getting more tempting by the day as the green fuzzy skin takes on a pinkish hue. The other day I plucked one only to discover it was still a week away from being fully ripe.
I’ve got a bunch of friends who can’t wait to get their hands on these organically grown, tree-ripened peaches.

Thought for the day: Fruit-bearing requires patience and our fruit are often meant for others to enjoy.



No comments:

Post a Comment