Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Chinese History

Lately, I’ve been discovering more of my roots and it’s been an interesting journey.
This week there was a display at a local mall that featured some ancient discoveries that so intrigued me I had to go and find out more about it for myself.
What greeted me in the center atrium of this expansive shopping complex was a sandcastle depicting the Great Wall of China and some of the iconic symbols of my oriental culture.
The Great Wall SandcastleAlong with this were the Terracotta warriors, transported from the archaeological dig in Xi'an Province. To think that there are 6,000 of these life-size terracotta warriors assembled in their battle formations is mind boggling and unimaginable.
What creative mind conceived such a plan? What great leader inspired such a magnificent project? I was quite astounded to find out that it all began because of the morbid fear of death in a 13 year old emperor. He would grow up to become the same Emperor who would commission the building of the Great Wall of China. Although I am awed by such man-made wonders, I am also scandalized by the cost of such endeavours. It is said that thousands of artisans and workers were buried alive after the project to protect the location of the Emperor’s mausoleum. I can’t help but come to the conclusion that such mega-structures are a sad reminder to us of the fears of man and the madness of power-mongers. “Death is swallowed up in victory. O Death, where is your victory? O Death, where is your sting?” How we thank God, who gives us victory over sin and death through Jesus
Christ our Lord!”
1 Corinthians 15:55, 57

No comments:

Post a Comment