Friday, September 16, 2011

Psalm 42 - Make like a Deer

This year I discovered a quaint little seaside town in Washington State called Ocean Shores. As the name connotes, it is a seaside holiday town with a unique feature; deer that wander freely through the homes and the town.
It’s been sometime since I last spotted a deer in the wild and so this was a treat for me as I was there for the surf and sand. Actually we were there at the invitation of my precious grand-daughter.



As the deer pants for the water brooks, so pants my soul for You, O God.
My soul thirsts for God, for the living God. When shall I come and appear before God? My tears have been my food day and night, while they continually say to me, “where is your God?”


Life can be pretty draining, especially when you are in my line of work. To ensure that I don’t burn out, I have to “make like a deer” at times. There are many things that drain me so I have to consciously seek out activities that “fill me up.”
Before I get any super spiritual advice on how God is all you need; I must say that while it is vitally important for us to maintain an intimate and current relationship with the Lord, it is essential that we take time out to refresh our soul. I find that nature appeals to my senses more than even music or other activities.

When I remember these things, I pour out my soul within me. For I used to go with the multitude; I went with them to the house of God, with the voice of joy and praise, with a multitude that kept a pilgrim feast.
There is a season for everything in life. While corporate celebration is exhilarating and passionate; it can also be tiring, hence the need to steal away to be quiet in His presence.
High praise is powerful but quiet contemplation allows God to penetrate the soul into the depths of our heart.
Both are needed if we are to have a balanced walk and a healthy soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment