Thursday, June 10, 2010

Parenthood

This month, the city has seen two teenage girls stabbed to death in separate drinking parties.
Then there’s the report of a “party bus” full of drunk under-aged kids that were given a warning after one of the inebriated girls fell off the moving bus.
The thing that troubles me most is the role that parents played in these tragedies – not once did an adult step up to take responsibility. Who hosted these parties? Who allowed alcohol to be served to minors and why was no adult charged in any of these incidents?
The driver and adult chaperones on the bus were interviewed and released.

The role that parents play in the overall growth and development of a child can never be more important than in these turbulent times.
Nature has a way of reminding us of our parenting responsibilities.
They say that Mallard Ducks stay together for life. When the Male Mallard goes looking for food; the mother stays home to guard and take care of the brood. I have bird houses set up in my backyard for chickadees and they occasionally trust the integrity of my wooden creations to set up nest. Lately, a pair of chickadees picked one of the houses and soon I could hear the chirping of little birds whenever I got close to it.

Yesterday I attempted to take some pictures of the little ones and see how they are doing. What frustrated me was the little chicks turned their backs on me each time I pointed my camera lens into the tiny entrance. I was also amazed by the protective nature of their tiny parents. One would buzz me while the other maintained his sentry post – chirping out a distinct warning each time I ventured near.
The only people who seem to have nothing to do with the education of the children are the parents. G.K. Chesterton

No comments:

Post a Comment