Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Walk on the Wildside

Recently I took a walk through the woods and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it.
Unlike my past experiences in the tropical Rainforests of South East Asia during my stint in the military, this was quite different. For one, there were no leeches or too many mosquitoes waiting to take a blood donation from you.
I love the way the sunlight filters through the forest canopy; it gives a warm glow to everything it touches. Though the forest floor is full of decaying matter; there is a freshness in the air that only exists in such an environment.
Have you ever tried walking bare-footed through a cold stream on a hot summer's day? The effect on your body is like a sudden jolt to your central nervous system - it wakes you up!
Everywhere you look, you will find all forms of growth...from the moss in the trees to the ferns and fungi on fallen trees. All living things grow – one way or another! I wonder what form of positive growth is currently occurring in my life?
I love wooden bridges – often in life, bridges represent the crossing from one level to another. It reminds me of the times, when we used to run as a platoon in the Army; I loved it when we used to jog in time across wooden bridges. The rhythmic sound that is produced when boots meet wooden planks is empowering. It’s the sound of a force to be reckoned with!
Some of the forest trails were quite narrow and could get pretty slick when it rains. Keeping to the “straight and narrow” is a full-time job, if we are to complete the course that is life.
The forest walk was rewarded with a view point that overlooked a beautiful lake. Life should always be that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment