Friday, March 25, 2011

Laws of Flight

The law of the LORD is perfect, refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
The precepts of the LORD are right, giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the LORD are radiant, giving light to the eyes.
The fear of the LORD is pure, enduring forever.
The decrees of the LORD are firm, and all of them are righteous.
Psalm 19:7-9 (NIV)
Whilst the context of this Psalm is concerning God’s Word and His laws, it could also apply to the Laws of nature.
I came across this massive flock of Snow Geese on their annual migration back to Siberia the other day. As I sat there enjoying the scene before me, I was taken back to a time when I sat in a classroom session on Aeronautics and the laws of flight. Yes those were good times in the Air Force!

Take off
There was a stiff West wind and I noticed that whenever the birds took off, they all faced into the wind. A few miles North of where I was, at the International Airport, I noticed all the planes were doing a similar take off run into the wind.
Flaps Down

I love sitting in the section behind the wings of a plane, and watching the leading-edge slats and rear flaps lowered to create more lift during landing. I guess the Wright brothers must have observed the wing design and flight patterns of birds to create similar results.
Reducing Drag

God has created these simple creatures with enough wisdom for them to fly in a V – formation to reduce drag and conserve energy for their long-haul migration flights.
Bombing Runs

I can only imagine the terror that must have been inflicted on the citizens of London during the blitz bombing of World War II by the Germans Luftwaffe Fighter Bombers. When these geese took off right above my head, all I could do was to close my mouth and duck – pardon the pun!
Pure genius, the creation of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment