Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Can’t Tell Them Apart?


I didn’t realize that winter would be a great time for bird watching and wildlife photography until I came across an article in the local papers about the Annual Bird Audit in my city.
Coupled with the greatest sockeye salmon run in the History of British Columbia, we have the greatest congregation of Bald eagles in the area. (Another blog)

The majestic Bald eagle stands out anywhere, however, trying to identify all the different species of waterfowl on my SD card became a new challenge.
Almost everyone is familiar with the common Mallard duck however it takes a keen eye to differentiate between a wood duck, a widgeon, a scaup and a teal. The Bible warns about false teachers and prophets in the last days, however telling them apart can be a challenge for the common believer.
I’ve learned some principles from identifying birds that can help in our telling apart the truth from lies.
1. You’ve got to have strong desire and passion to develop a keen eye.
Before I developed a love for wildlife – I never did notice that there were so many types of ducks.
2. You’ve got to invest time.
A once-in- a-while encounter will not do. More time spent equals familiarity with the Word.
3. You’ve got to refer to a reliable manual.
I had to research the ornithologists “bible” to identify certain similar species to tell them apart. The Bible is the real-thing. Truth is absolute!

No comments:

Post a Comment