Thursday, May 20, 2010

V for Visitors

Spring time brings with it many sorts of visitors.
The hummingbirds have returned with their seemingly ADHD like behaviour; flitting around the garden looking for their choice pickings. I recently put up a hummingbird feeder, but they still prefer the fresh nectar from the myriad of flowering plants in my backyard oasis.
I decided to stock up my pond again with 40 goldfish. This time round, I was determined to ensure their survival, so I bought a roll of PVC netting and had it staked down to cover the pond. Sure enough, that evening, the neighbourhood racoons came looking for a buffet meal only to be denied entrance to their ‘dining room.’
I still have not been able to keep out the Grey and Black squirrels that raid my fruit trees. Some of these critters must have Commando training, the way they hurl themselves at my bird feeder and scatter the seeds onto the ground. Alas, the poor birds will have to do without their free daily meal!

In the next few months, I will have visits from long lost friends. It’s strange how you lose contact with them and then they all seem to want to visit you at the same time!
Some visitors you enjoy and don’t want them to ever leave; while others, you are apprehensive and can’t wait for them to leave.

In many ways, we are also just visitors in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment